Notes from a small island
A weblog by Jonathan Ali


Tuesday, March 25, 2003  

Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I just want to say a few things concerning the comments I made to Bina about Roman Polanski.

In no way do I condone the crime for which Polanski was convicted all those years ago. Nor do I care either way if he gets a gold statuette to put on his mantelpiece. But if the man is still allowed to practise his craft, it would be hypocritical for him not to be recognised for it, if he - or more correctly, his talent - is deemed worthy of such recognition. (As it would be hypocritical of those opposed to Polanski's win to view his winning film, the Pianist.)

The distinction between a man and his art is one I have always made, and for no other reason than the fact that I don't look to the artist. I look to the art. In another age, before gossip columns and tell-all memoirs and the Osbornes the art was all we had, and was all that mattered. Now, with the all-pervading cult of celebrity, who a writer or singer or actor is sleeping with or what their latest drug of choice is is as important as their latest book or album or film - to some, even more so. But the art is all that should matter.

So I will see the Pianist and enjoy it for what it is; I might even think it deserving of its award. I certainly won't be thinking, "This movie was directed by a paedophile." If every time we sought to enjoy or reward a work of art we stopped to think of the sins of its creator, there'd be precious little art left to enjoy.































posted by Jonathan | 8:56 AM 0 comments

0 Comments:

save boissiere house
archives
links
Bina Shah
Nicholas Laughlin
Caribbean Free Radio
Antilles
StudioFilmClub
Global Voices
Jessie Girl
Club Soda and Salt
Caribbean Cricket
Seldo
Titilayo
Jai Arjun Singh
email me