Notes from a small island
A weblog by Jonathan Ali


Saturday, May 17, 2003  

"Years later, browsing my shelves, I came across The English Teacher again. I was struggling to find a voice for my second novel and the few paragraphs I read were of such beguiling simplicity and clarity that I resolved to make time for a second reading. Revisiting it at the age of 40 I find in it so many beautiful and moving things. I recognise and sympathise with the way Krishnan describes the psychological pain of everyday life, the simple, short-lived epiphanies that light us along our way. 'Why had I become incapable of controlling my own thoughts? I brooded over it. Needless to say it took me nowhere. I felt a great regret at having spent a fine evening in brooding and self-analysis, and then reached a startlingly simple solution.' In Narayan's hands even the torture of the mind is so untortured; the conversations and descriptions so unadorned as to give the impression of words flowing like blood or air through one's body."

- Ardashir Vakil, one of my favourite novelists, in an article on The School Teacher by RK Narayan, in today's UK Guardian Review.

posted by Jonathan | 1:36 AM 0 comments

0 Comments:

save boissiere house
archives
links
Bina Shah
Nicholas Laughlin
Caribbean Free Radio
Antilles
StudioFilmClub
Global Voices
Jessie Girl
Club Soda and Salt
Caribbean Cricket
Seldo
Titilayo
Jai Arjun Singh
email me