Notes from a small island
A weblog by Jonathan Ali


Sunday, June 15, 2003  

This evening Dionne Warwick will be in concert. I'm not going; I toyed very briefly with the idea, but in the end decided not to, for various reasons. No great tragedy, really, but I can't say I wouldn't have loved to hear the woman who gave us (in my view) the definitive versions of some of Burt Bacharach and Hal David's best songs, perform them live. Songs such as "I Say A Little Prayer" ("Forever, forever, you'll stay in my heart..." - the greatest chorus of any pop song ever), "I'll Never Fall In Love Again", and, of course, "Walk On By".

Warwick's voice isn't as strong as when she first recorded these songs, and she's straining a bit at the high notes these days, but it is the mature voice - clear, warm, inviting, almost conversational - that I grew up on, and will always cherish. I do hope she gives a great performance this evening. In fact, I'll say a little prayer that she does.

posted by Jonathan | 7:25 AM 0 comments

0 Comments:

save boissiere house
archives
links
Bina Shah
Nicholas Laughlin
Caribbean Free Radio
Antilles
StudioFilmClub
Global Voices
Jessie Girl
Club Soda and Salt
Caribbean Cricket
Seldo
Titilayo
Jai Arjun Singh
email me