Notes from a small island
A weblog by Jonathan Ali


Friday, July 18, 2003  

"Writers in this country need everything for we have nothing. We have no bookshops, no publishers, no proper newspapers or broadcasting. We are crippled. In America or England they have pens, paper, books, magazines and people who can afford to read and write. Here, of course we think about the war all the time. All the time. My best friend is an amputee now and I cannot bear to see him. Sometimes I just cross the street if I see him coming. I want to write about this. All of us want to write. But we need materials. And then if we write it here, who will read it?"

- A quote by a writer in, no, not Trinidad (give us a few years) but Sierra Leone, from an article by Caryl Phillips in the UK Guardian Saturday Review.

posted by Jonathan | 10:20 PM 0 comments

0 Comments:

save boissiere house
archives
links
Bina Shah
Nicholas Laughlin
Caribbean Free Radio
Antilles
StudioFilmClub
Global Voices
Jessie Girl
Club Soda and Salt
Caribbean Cricket
Seldo
Titilayo
Jai Arjun Singh
email me