Notes from a small island
A weblog by Jonathan Ali


Tuesday, August 05, 2003  

The editorial cartoon in Monday's Guardian really has me baffled. Meant as a comment on the closure of one of the country's sugar refineries and the laying off of its thousands of workers, the cartoon shows a gentleman of Indian descent, holding the money from the separation package in his hand, with two contending thoughts on his mind: one, to deposit the money in the bank; the other, to go spend the money on rum.

Now, there's no question that the majority of workers in the sugar industry are of Indian descent; no problem there. But the message the cartoon sends is, simply, racist, based on the stereotype of Indo-Trinidadian men - and rural Indo-Trinidadian men in particular - as alcoholics. (No doubt the recent popularity of the song "Rum Till I Die" informed the cartoon as well.)

As I say, I'm more baffled than offended, though the cartoon is distasteful in the extreme. I just cannot understand how the Guardian cartoonist could have found such a thing even remotely funny, and more puzzlingly, how the editor could have agreed with him. I haven't seen or heard any reaction on this so far, but I hope I do, and not just from the usual ethnocentric quarters.


posted by Jonathan | 9:51 PM 0 comments

0 Comments:

save boissiere house
archives
links
Bina Shah
Nicholas Laughlin
Caribbean Free Radio
Antilles
StudioFilmClub
Global Voices
Jessie Girl
Club Soda and Salt
Caribbean Cricket
Seldo
Titilayo
Jai Arjun Singh
email me