Notes from a small island
A weblog by Jonathan Ali


Tuesday, October 21, 2003  

Having dreaded the prospect of “Sylvia,” I admired it precisely because it refuses to play along with the mythologizing that has sprung up, and vulgarized, the lives of two poets. The film neither raises Plath up nor cuts her off at the knees, and, at the eleventh hour, it even permits us to smile at her plight. “You must think I’m a stupid American bitch,” she says to a kindly old neighbor in London. “Not at all, my dear,” he replies. “I assumed you were Canadian.”

-- From Anthony Lane's review in the New Yorker of Sylvia, the biopic of Sylvia Plath, starring Gwyneth Paltrow.

posted by Jonathan | 11:51 PM 0 comments

0 Comments:

save boissiere house
archives
links
Bina Shah
Nicholas Laughlin
Caribbean Free Radio
Antilles
StudioFilmClub
Global Voices
Jessie Girl
Club Soda and Salt
Caribbean Cricket
Seldo
Titilayo
Jai Arjun Singh
email me