Notes from a small island
A weblog by Jonathan Ali


Thursday, November 13, 2003  

But as I admire Flower and Olonga, so I can't condemn Streak and co. for playing on. I don't know if I'd have the strength to act differently in their situation. And when you see a smiling, cheering crowd watching the mighty Brian Lara and his Caribbean army on the brink of defeat at Zimbabwean hands, you know you are seeing a speck of joy light up an otherwise bleak landscape. Ultimately, though, the seemingly benign conditions in which the two Test matches have played out belie the true nature of Zimbabwe today. And while I'll cheer every Zimbabwean run and every Zimbabwean wicket, I can't help feeling that it's a far from healthy scenario.

--And while I'm cheering every West Indian run and wicket--and today, Lara's 22nd Test century, which made him the top West Indian Test runs scorer, putting him seventh on the list overall (highest individual Test score be damned!)--I can't help feeling the same.

posted by Jonathan | 7:34 PM 0 comments

0 Comments:

save boissiere house
archives
links
Bina Shah
Nicholas Laughlin
Caribbean Free Radio
Antilles
StudioFilmClub
Global Voices
Jessie Girl
Club Soda and Salt
Caribbean Cricket
Seldo
Titilayo
Jai Arjun Singh
email me