Notes from a small island
A weblog by Jonathan Ali


Friday, December 05, 2003  

Time takes care of the wound so I can believe
You had so much to give, you thought I couldn’t see
Gifts for boot heels to crush, promises deceived
I had to send it away to bring us back again

Your eyes and body bright in silent waters, deep
Your precious daughter in the other room, asleep
A kiss goodnight from every stranger that I meet
I had to send it away to bring us back again

Morning theft, unpretender left, ungrateful

True self is what brought you here to me
A place where we can accept this love
Friendship battered down by useless history
Unexamined failure

What am I still to you? Some thief who stole from you?
Or some fool drama queen whose chances were few?
That brings us to who we need
A place where we can tame
A heart that beats as both siphon and reservoir

You’re a woman, I’m a calf
You’re a window, I’m a knife
We come together, making chance in the starlight
Meet me tomorrow night, or any day you want
I have no right to wonder just how or when

You know the meaning fits
There’s no relief in this
I miss my beautiful friend

I had to send it away to bring her back again

-- “Morning Theft” by Jeff Buckley, from the (posthumous)1998 album, (Sketches for) My Sweetheart the Drunk.


posted by Jonathan | 7:12 AM 0 comments

0 Comments:

save boissiere house
archives
links
Bina Shah
Nicholas Laughlin
Caribbean Free Radio
Antilles
StudioFilmClub
Global Voices
Jessie Girl
Club Soda and Salt
Caribbean Cricket
Seldo
Titilayo
Jai Arjun Singh
email me